The exercise was completed on below environments,
• Windows Server 2012 64 bit
• Microsoft SQL Server 2012 64 bit
• Solution Manager 7.1 Dual Stack (ABAP & JAVA)
So, our aim is to upgrade the Solution Manager 7.1 to the latest support package stacks available in the SAP Service Marketplace. In this example, we are going to implement support package stack upgrade from SPS04 to SPS08.
Before we begin, you need to download the necessary media files as below,
• Software Update Manager (SUM) 1.0 SP09 Patch 2 or higher
• The latest SAP Solution Manager 7.1 stack kernel
• The latest SAP Solution Manager 7.1 ABAP stack
• The latest SAP Solution Manager 7.1 Java stack
Launch the Software Update Manager and enter the username and password. Click OK.
1. The Welcome screen of Software Update Manager. SUM will automatically detected any installed SAP system. Click Next.
2. Enter the password of sidadm. Click Next.
3. Select Stack configuration file (XML) and locate the stack file directory. Click Next.
4. Open the SAP Note provided from the installation screen, find the keyword and paste it to this screen. Click Next.
5. The next screen will be the roadmap steps. The roadmap is consists of multiple phases which are Initialization, Extraction, Configuration, Checks, Preprocessing, Execution, Postprocessing and Finalization. You can monitor on each tab, ABAP and Java for the progress in details.
5.1 The Initialization roadmap step. Once the step is completed, click Next to start the Extraction roadmap step.
5.2 The Extraction roadmap step. During this phase, you will prompted on below requests,
5.2.1 Enter the password of DDIC user for client 000 and OS specific password (SAPServiceSID).
5.2.2 Provide the latest SPAM version to the EPS/in directory.
5.2.3 You may apply some SNOTE(s) if required.
5.2.4 Extraction – Initial Software Extraction completed. Click Next.
5.3 Next, the Configuration roadmap step. During the phase, below actions may required,
5.3.1 Tool Configuration. Choose Standard.
5.3.2 User credentials. Enter the password of J2EE_ADMIN and SDM user.
5.3.3 Information gathering. Accept default values.
5.3.4 AS Java Super Admin Credentials. Enter the password of SAP*.
5.3.5 Enter the SAP OS Service Users credentials.
5.3.6 Apply the missing Certificate Revocation List (CRL) Status.
5.3.7 Include Change Request. If you do not want to include, leave the field empty.
5.3.8 Component Status: Review component status. You can ignore this – click Continue.
5.3.9 Modification Adjustment. If no SPAU/SPDD transport request – click Continue.
5.3.10 Configuration roadmap phase completed.
5.4 The Checks roadmap step. The phase will check the requirements for the SPS upgrade. No manual actions required here. Once this roadmap phase completed, click Next.
5.5 Next step is the Preprocessing roadmap step. Some actions required on this phase,
5.5.1 Open Repairs – Locked SAP objects have been found in open repairs, corrections, or transport orders. If these orders are not released, you will not be able to adjust these objects if necessary.
5.5.2 Lock Development Environment. Choose option Lock now.
5.5.3 Perform the listed activities and once all are completed – Select Actions completed.
5.5.4 Perform the transaction log backup.
5.5.5 The roadmap of Preprocessing is completed. Click Next to proceed on Execution roadmap.
5.6 Execution roadmap step. The software update manager now performing the actual update in the system.
5.6.1 Perform a full backup of the database.
5.6.2 End of Downtime. Click Continue.
5.6.3 The Execution roadmap completed.
5.7 Once the Execution roadmap step is completed. You will be on Postprocessing roadmap phase. This step creates the update evaluation and saves the log files.
5.7.1 If no SPAU transport imported, click Continue. Else, get the ABAP and Functional team to verify the SPAU.
5.7.2 Click Continue.
5.7.3 The Postprocessing roadmap completed.
5.8 At last, the Finalization roadmap step. No critical actions required here. Click Next.
6. Finally, the Summary and Evaluation of the Process screen. You will find the information of the upgrade from here. As for feedback, you can answer all the questions provided and send the upgrade overview to SAP. By doing this, we can help SAP to improve the SUM tool usage!